FDI develops and uses statements to help shape outcomes of meetings and strategies and to urge policy makers and other relevant stakeholders to take specific action on oral health.
Our statements serve as key advocacy resources to support our member National Dental Associations (NDAs) and health advocates. Find out more about FDI’s statements below.
WHO Executive Board Statements
The World Health Organization Executive Board (WHO EB) puts into practice the policies and decisions made at the World Health Assembly (WHA), WHO’s decision-making body. During the annual WHO EB meeting in January, EB members agree upon the agenda and the resolutions to be considered at the upcoming WHA.
FDI delivers statements at the annual WHO EB meeting, prepared together with the Vision 2020 Task Team, to push for oral health to be considered within certain agenda items. This is important because it raises the profile of oral health on the global health agenda and works toward establishing commitments and global policies on oral health.
- Item 6: Political declaration of the third high-level meeting of the General Assembly on the prevention and control of non-communicable diseases (Oral health, EB148/8)
- Item 6: Statement by the International Association for Dental Research (IADR) (Oral health, EB148/8)
- Item 9: Antimicrobial resistance (EB148/11)
- Item 5.1: Proposed programme budget 2020-2021 (EB144/7)
- Item 5.4: Implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (EB144/11 Rev.1)
- Item 5.5: Primary health care towards universal health coverage (EB144/12)
- Item 5.8: Follow-up to the HLM on antimicrobial resistance (EB144/19)
- Item 5.8: Follow-up to HLM on the prevention and control of NCDs (EB144/20 and EB144/20 Add 1)
- Item 6.4: Promoting the health of refugees and migrants (EB144/27)
World Health Assembly Statements
The WHA is the decision-making body of WHO and is held annually in Geneva, Switzerland. It is attended by delegations from all WHO Member States and, thanks to FDI’s official relations status with the United Nations, we leverage this meeting by delivering statements made in consultation with the FDI Vision 2020 Task Team to influence global policies and commitments on oral health.
The following statements were presented at the 72nd World Health Assembly held in Geneva from 20-28 May 2019.
- Agenda item 11.1: Proposed programme budget 2020-2021
- Agenda item 11.4: Implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- Agenda item 11.5: Primary health care towards universal health coverage
- Agenda item 11.5: UHC – Community health workers delivering primary health care: opportunities and challenges
- Agenda item 11.8: Follow-up to the high-level meeting on antimicrobial resistance
- Agenda item 11.8: Follow-up to the high-level meeting on NCDs
- Agenda item 12.4: Promoting the health of refugees and migrants
The following statements were presented at the 71st World Health Assembley held in Geneva from 21-25 May 2018.
- Agenda item 11.7: Preparation for the third High-level Meeting of the General Assembly on the Prevention and Control of Non-communicable Diseases, to be held in 2018
- Agenda item 12.4: Use of appropriate digital technologies for public health
The following statements were presented at the 70th World Health Assembley held in Geneva from 22-31 May 2017.